Music luminaries will perform and honor 2016 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees Glenn Hughes & Robin Zander. The event will take place on Thursday, May 12, 2016th at The Fonda Theatre (6126 Hollywood Blvd.) in Los Angeles (red carpet: 6:00PM, show starts: 7:30 PM).
ADOPT THE ARTS (www.adoptthearts.org) is hosting a live benefit concert and event to help save the arts in Los Angeles elementary schools. Music luminaries will perform with and honor 2016 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees, GLENN HUGHES (Deep Purple) and ROBIN ZANDER (Cheap Trick) for their contributions to American art and culture.
Musicians confirmed to perform include ADOPT THE ARTS founder MATT SORUM (Guns N’ Roses, Velvet Revolver, Hollywood Vampires) along with GEEZER BUTLER (Black Sabbath), STEVE JONES (Sex Pistols), COREY TAYLOR (Slipknot), GILBY CLARKE (Guns N’ Roses), BILLY DUFFY (The Cult), DEAN DeLEO & ROBERT DeLEO (Stone Temple Pilots), STEVE LUKATHER (Toto), CHAD SMITH (Red Hot Chili Peppers), FRANKY PEREZ (Apocalyptica), STEVIE SALAS (Mick Jagger), PAUL III (Tina Turner, Disreputable Few), DAMON FOX (Big Elf and The Cult,) and DJ MORTY COYLE.
Comedian HAL SPARKS will also be a part of the night’s festivities, which also includes a live auction.
ADOPT THE ARTS is a Los Angeles-based charity, co-founded by musician Matt Sorum and activist Abby Berman, that works to preserve arts programs in U.S. public schools. Actress Jane Lynch is an active supporter and one of the founding board members. To raise awareness, ADOPT THE ARTS honors individuals who’ve had a long-lasting impact on music culture and who inspire young musicians to follow in their footsteps.
In collaboration with well-known artists, entrepreneurs, policy makers and the general public, Adopt the Arts is dedicated to improving the academic performance of every child, through the gift of making music and art. ATA is focused on developing strategic relationships with educators, administrators, and board members to ensure that most under-served schools in the district are identified and ultimately, helped. Co-founders Abby Berman and Matt Sorum believe that it is morally and ethically incumbent upon the public-at-large to foster the creativity, hopes, dreams and imaginations of our children. To date, ATA has donated over 1000 instruments to 30 LAUSD schools and fully funded the music program at Rosewood Avenue and Westminster Elementary. Each school has been “adopted” by a celebrity or public figure, exposing children to inspirational people who have worked hard for their success. The interaction between the children and adopter creates a sense of responsibility and shared commitment for all of those involved.
The ADOPT THE ARTS advisory board includes SLASH, JOHN STAMOS, BILLY BOB THORTON, STEVE STEVENS, JULIETTE LEWIS, DANNY MASTERSON, SHEPARD FAIREY, ADRIAN YOUNG and GINA GERSHON.
Comedian Hal Sparks will also be a part of the night’s festivities, which also includes a live auction. The event will take place on Thursday, May 12, 2016th at The Fonda Theatre (6126 Hollywood Blvd.) in Los Angeles (red carpet: 6:00PM, show starts: 7:30 PM).
According to Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD), there is still not enough teachers, equipment or instruments for every child to receive an arts education of any kind. As in many school districts around the country, LAUSD has been slowly eroding its commitment to arts education, reducing the budget incrementally. The LAUSD district also estimates that 80% of its student body is living at or below the poverty line, which means the vast majority of these elementary school children will not have access to the arts outside of school.
“Adopt the Arts was born out of the frustration for my own children losing education in the arts,” explains ADOPT THE ARTS co-founder Abby Berman. “When the system is failing, we have to take action. With influential people like my co-founder Matt Sorum adopting schools, we can preserve this valuable component to childhood development, which is also known to boost test scores. Because Federal and State funding is falling short, the responsibility is upon us as concerned parents and citizens to ensure we’re raising a new generation of healthy and well-rounded individuals.”
ADOPT THE ARTS Chair and Co-founder Matt Sorum adds, “We’re starting in our own backyard here in Los Angeles, and we’ll continue to adopt schools across the nation. We believe that art is a universal and necessary language that unites us all, regardless of our backgrounds.”
Matt Sorum is an American drummer and percussionist. He is best known as both a former member of the hard rock band Guns N’ Roses, with whom he recorded three studio albums, and as a member of the super-group Velvet Revolver. Sorum is currently a member of the touring project, Kings of Chaos, and is a former member of both The Cult and Y Kant Tori Read. Sorum was also a member of Guns N’ Roses side-projects, Slash’s Snakepit and Neurotic Outsiders, and released a solo album, Hollywood Zen, in 2004. In 2012, Sorum was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Guns N’ Roses.
Glenn Hughes is a British rock bassist and vocalist, who achieved international fame with the band Deep Purple. Hughes started out in the 1960’s and formed the funk-rock band Trapeze. In 1973, Hughes joined Deep Purple, and played on three of Purple’s albums, before the band’s split in 1976. Hughes’ first solo album, “Play Me Out, was released in 1977, and the musician went on to release a series of solo albums throughout the 1980’s and 90’s. One of the most important collaborations in Hughes’ career was with Black Sabbath’s Tony Lommi, on the legendary guitarist’s first solo album. In 2015, it was announced that Deep Purple would be inducted to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame at the April 8th, 2016 ceremony in Brooklyn, NY.
Robin Zander is the lead singer and rhythm guitarist for the rock band Cheap Trick. In 1974, Zander became the second singer to join Cheap Trick, and has toured the world and released many albums, ever since. In 2014, Zander was part of the all-star “Kings of Chaos” line-up that included Steven Tyler, Matt Sorum and Duff McKagan. “Kings of Chaos” played shows in South Africa, and continued in the U.S., last year. Zander will also be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame this year, along with his fellow Cheap Trick band members.
Jane Lynch Introduction to ADOPT THE ARTS
- ADOPT THE ARTS: Two Signed Concert Event Guitars (signed by all musicians).
- SHEPARD FAIREY: Fine Art piece, “Black Sabbath,” Print on metal (retail $3000.00).
- WOODY GUTHRIE Signed Canvas Screen Print, 18′ X 24″ (numbered, edition of 450) 2010
- IGGY POP Signed Raw Power Screen Print, 18′ X 24″ (numbered, edition of 650) 2010
- BLACK SABBATH Signed Silver Black Crescent Print 18′ X 24″ (numbered, edition of 125) 2013(www.obeygiant.com)
- METALLICA: Guitar signed by the band Metallica (pictured above).
- SLASH: Guitar signed by Slash (Slash Featuring Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators, Guns N’ Roses).
- JOE PERRY: Guitar signed by Joe Perry (Aerosmith, Hollywood Vampires).
- BRIAN MAY: Guitar signed by Brian May (QUEEN).
- DAVE GROHL: Guitar signed by Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters).
- JOURNEY: Guitar signed by Journey, Paul Reed Smith Se14 played by Neal Schon.
- MAROON 5: Guitar signed by the band Maroon 5.
- ELTON JOHN/DAVEY JOHNSTON: Signed guitar from Davey Johnston, legendary Elton John guitarist.
- MATT SORUM: Three, signed Guns N’ Roses s drumheads signed by Matt Sorum (Guns N’ Roses).
- PRINCE: Color print photo of Prince from rock photographer Gene Kirkland (signed). (www.genekirklandphotography.com)
- JOAN JETT & CHEAP TRICK: VIP Meet and Greet package at Los Angeles concert, August 23 at The Forum.
- CROSBY STILLS NASH AND YOUNG: 1974 box set.
- RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE: deluxe box set.
- AFRICAN SAFARI: All-inclusive eco-luxury African safari trip.
- LAGUNA MONTAGE: Two-night luxury hotel stay and lunch with drummer Matt Sorum (Guns N’ Roses).
- SAMMY HAGAR: signed cook book, two bottles of Bum Rum and two t-shirts.
- JOHN VARVATOS:
- Four 4.2 oz colognes, “Vintage,” “Artisan,” “Dark Rebel,” “Artisan Acqua.”
- One pair of Aviator sunglasses (retail $295.00).
- Signed copy of John Varvatos’ limited edition book, Rock In Fashion (retail $495.00).
- Weekender duffle bag (retail $1595.00).
- KLIPSCH SPEAKER SYSTEM: Klipsch Designer Speaker System (Retail $1,500).
- ZALEMARK (jewelry):
- Sterling 925 Silver: Crayola Colored Inspired Ladies Bracelet set 5.24 cts Natural African Amethysts & White Sapphires (Retail $ 1494.00).
- Sterling 925 Silver: Crayola Colored Inspired Ladies Ring set with 9mm Princess Cut Natural Madera Citrine & 1.10cts of White Sapphires (Size 7, Retail $ 1632.00).
- Sterling 925 Silver: Set of 5, Crayola Colored Inspired Ladies Stackable 5 bracelets set (Made in Italy) with magnetic clasps (Retail $ 1215.00).
Ticket prices for the event are below and all tax deductible donations benefit Adopt the Arts:
1) General Admission(Standing): $40
2) General Admission(Stadium Seating): $75
3) VIP Tickets: $275 VIP Table for 10: $2,500
4) Meet and Greet VIP Tickets: $500
5) Meet and Greet VIP Table for 10: $4,500
Proceeds from the event will be donated to Adopt the Arts.